Yoga Fail + My Fitness Tips!
A friend of mine recently became a certified Yoga teacher and taught her first yoga class at an amazing studio on the upper west side, so my roommate/long time friend and I decided that we would go and support her at her very first class! We were so excited, but then ended up on the bus from hell getting there and it ended up being 5 minutes late, which was past the time they would let us in! We were totally devastated and ended up killing time in the area and met up with our friend after the class let out. Total. Yoga. Fail. We assured her that we would be back as she is now a regular teacher and I will definitely blog about the experience! You guys will die when you see pictures of this studio (#onlyinnewyork).
While we didn’t make it to yoga, I didn’t let that day go to waste, and ended up going for a nice run later that day! I have been on a great eating and workout schedule that has led to some incredible results! I have had some ups and downs over the past couple of years with my health and fitness routine, but I finally feel like I’ve come to the point where I have a great handle on it and want to share some of my top tips that have helped my get closer to my fitness goals:
1. Find your motivation: I would definitely say that this is the number one tip to reaching your health and fitness goals. This is the driving force that will help you align everything else in your life so you can be the best healthy version of yourself. Find an event you want to look amazing for, or a trip that you want to look and feel your best for and use that to kick-start your fitness routine! Once you start seeing results, you will not want to stop, even after the event is over. You absolutely have to find motivation in order to stick to it. Using a notebook to write down your goals is another great way to hold your self more accountable and track your progress.
2. Cook your own food: I have found that there is no way around this one really. When I am at my healthiest it is because I cook my own food and know exactly what I am putting into my body. This also doesn’t have to be particularly daunting or time consuming! Everything I make literally takes 15 minutes or less and I prepare food for three days at a time! Find quick and easy recipes online and find a routine what works for you. People complain about not having time, but honestly, if you are serious about getting healthy and eating right, this has to be a priority and you will have to make time, over doing other things. I will write a post soon on what I eat in a day, to show you how easy it can be!
3. Eat smaller meals more often: While some people can get away with three meals a day and still be fit, I find this tip to be really essential to getting trim. Eating small meals every 3-4 hours helps to raise your metabolism and you never get super hungry at any point during the day. I don’t know about you but I LOVE to eat, so any eating plan where I’m basically eating all day, works amazing for me!
4. Find Workout Routine you love: In order to stick to a workout routine for life, you have to love it. With so many options out there, there is no excuse to not get your body moving. There are so many health benefits to sweating it out and it is such a stress reliever that you will get addicted to exercising, once you find a routine you love. I am a big class taker and love to take, Pilates, boot camp, dance, and cycling classes! This helps to keep variety and I never get bored. If you don’t know where to start, classes are a great way to get your sweat on without having to worry about what you are going to do when you get to the gym.
5. Consistency is Key: All of this means nothing if you are not consistent. Once you find the healthy food you love to eat and the fitness routine you love, you have to actually stick to it! This point goes back to the whole motivation tip and you really have to want it bad. I’ve come to the realization, that I want my body to be functioning at its most optimal state and I want to live a long vibrant life, which means that health and fitness are a top priority for me. Knowing that I have full control over how I feel and what I look like is extremely empowering and has helped motivate me in other aspects of my life. I haven’t achieved all my fitness goals YET, but I am pretty darn close and few things in life feel better than that! I encourage you all to just get after it and create the life you want! xo