5 Life Lessons After 25 Years + New Outfit!
As my 26th birthday rapidly approaches this weekend, I have been feeling a bit like reflecting on the past year and some of the major themes and learnings that have taken away from living a full 25 years on this earth! Friends and family tend to try their best to give good advice, but somethings aren’t really driven home until your experience them first hand. So without further ado, here are the top five things I’ve learned this year:
1. Parents are actually cool: This year, is the first year that I’ve felt like I h ave started to become actual friends with both my parents. I’ve always had a good relationship with them but they have always fit perfectly into their roles as parents rather than friends. I find that the older I get, the cooler they get and I can pick up the phone and have an hour long conversation with my Mom and not get annoyed and actually enjoy it! This was definitely a shock to me, but in a pleasant way because I am excited to get to know my parents as an adult. For the younger readers, trust me guys, the older you get, the better your relationship with your parents get and it is pretty awesome.
2. Follow-through: I’ve noticed that many people are constantly claiming that they will do something for a friend or get back to them on something or call them, or whatever it is, but never actually follow through on it. I myself am guilty of this too, but I’ve made a promise to myself to end this vicious cycle. If I say I am going to do something, for someone, then I’m going to do it! It just sucks to promise something to someone only to let them down. Either set realistic expectations or do what you say you are going to do!
3. Where there’s a will there’s a way: I try to never set limitations for myself and if there is something I want to accomplish with all my heart and soul, then I’m going to go for it! Many people will talk themselves out of fulfilling a dream or goal they have because it doesn’t seem like it will work out when in reality if they put their mind to it, anything is possible. I never thought I would be able to move to New York and be working for one of the most amazing companies in the world as quickly as I did, but I did it and so can all of you. If you want something, tell yourself it’s yours, go after it and don’t stop until you get it.
4. You can’t force it: When I meet new people, I literally can tell within the first 5 minutes of talking to someone if I would get along with them. You can’t force friendships, you can’t force relationships, and you can’t force people to like you. It’s either there or it’s not and that’s okay. It helps to waste less of everyone’s time! So if there is someone you are dying to be friends with or a guy who you really want to talk to, just remember that these things can’t be forced and you really have to go with your gut feeling as to whether or not someone is meant to be in your life. Really, you can’t force it!
5. Expect the unexpected: So many new people have entered my life this year who have contributed to evolving my perspective of the world. People who I thought would be a major part of my life aren’t and people who have stuck around to be huge influences, I would have never imagined would have! I couldn’t be more grateful for the amazing experiences I’ve had in the past year. You really never know who will enter your life and rock the boat. Be open to new experiences and don’t be afraid to put your self out there and meet new people.
This was a long one, but I hope you guys enjoyed! Leave a comment below if you’ve experienced some amazing life lessons! xo